Saturday, 26 April 2008

Sons of Kryos Podcast

I have just finished catching up on the Sons of Kryos and want to say many thanks to Jeff, Judd and Storn for the entertaining show. Following its path from supporting the gaming community of Ithaca, NY to a global podcast was intensely interesting. Their commentaries on gaming - especially as they have expert knowledge on Indie gaming - were the most insightful and informative aspect of the show. It is a bit of a mammoth task, with an mp3 player attached to me most of the last three weeks grabbing an episode when I can and carrying a small note book to write down ideas.

What did I like about it?
Good sentences - these segments help clear through some of the issues that can occur at the table and the resulting discussions have allowed me to think about some of the issues I had at Pendragon {OK Pendragon wasn't bad but it did have some issues}.

Segments on making gaming better - including discussions on goals, beliefs, kickers, bangs, stake setting, character secrets, reviving old campaigns [will be useful for the restart of Pendragon], player resource points to name but a few!

Introducing me to Dust Devils and Burning Wheel [they should honestly get a commission for this game!], as well as PTA.

What I didn't like?
Very little actually - each episode usually had something that sparked my imagination or that I learnt a new trick from. Considering it is the only podcast of the many I listen to that I have taken the time to go back to the beginning of, this should come as no surprise. The interviews were less helpful to me but getting the views of those in the gaming industry was interesting, just not directly relevant to what I seek to achieve.

Overall, if you only listen to one podcast on rpgs make it this one!

No comments: