Thursday, 7 August 2008

X Files - I Want to Believe

The latest X-Files film seemed to look good from the trailer but I think we made a mistake not reading any reviews because this film seemed to be the last throw of the X-File franchise and it failed dismally. The real issue here was that the actors looked tired with the roles, the X-File wasn't anything the writers had done a lot better in the series (a psychic? that was it?) and the film was really boring. I thought I would never say that about the X-Files but this film was so poor as to have me wishing it would finish! If this was to relaunch the X-Files brand then it failed, but if it was to tie up any loose story lines it failed on that account as well.

According to my wife, one of the issues with the film was the subtext essentially argued that once you are past 30 you might as well give up. You will look jaded, you will be so risk averse as to agonise over every decision. People will find you angst ridden and ponderous: your laughter lines will have have been translated into ugly worry frowns. Mulder and Scully were an old married couple and boy had the chemistry evaporated!

No comments: